Customers Also Bought
- Electronic Medication Dispenser
- Clear Cover
- Solid Cover
- 6 Printed Rings
- 4 Batteries
- Metal Locking Key
Anatomy of an Automatic Pill Dispenser
What is Med-E-Lert?
Med-E-Lert 28 Day Automatic Pill Dispenser is a locking pill dispenser that provides patient alerts when it is time to take medications. It is more than just a regular medication storage device. It offers a series of small compartments that may be periodically filled with pills and medications and then locked for automatic dispensing on a timed schedule. Constructed with a transparent lid, this electronic pill organizer allows the patient and caregiver to view upcoming dosages. In this manner, patients and caregivers can view upcoming medications and which administrations have already been completed. Caregiver can quickly monitor a patient's compliance and remind when ever necessary.
Medication Administration Management
Studies have shown that up to half of all patients fail to adhere to their scheduled medication requirements. Researchers estimate that more than $100 billion is wasted annually on avoidable hospitalizations due to missed medications and instances of overdose. There is a need for medication reminders and automatic dispensing devices that can notify patients when drug administrations are due. This specialized dispenser over a pill box can ensure the medications are taken at the proper time or that the patient isn't over medicated. The Med-E-Lert pill dispenser is an advanced electronic pill organizer that locks medications from the patient until the correct time arrives for dosing. Improved adherence to medication dosages at the prescribed intervals can lead to improved patient health and reduced health care spending.
MedELert comes with programmable alerts to notify patients when a medication dosage is due. This compact medication management device uses small compartments in which pills are loaded and stored until it is time for dispensing. When the administration time arrives, the specified pill compartment for that time period is automatically unlocked. An audible alarm will sound to remind the patient that a medication is ready. The unlocked compartment is accessible to the patient for administration.
This medication system allows individuals to self-monitor pill administration as well as it allows caregivers to track patient compliance. Caregivers may easily monitor medication schedule adherence by merely examining which unlocked compartments are empty. Unlocked compartments with a supply of pills indicate that the patient is behind in taking their prescriptions. Caregivers can then remind the patient of a missed pill administration.
Med-E-Lert Pill Dispenser vs. Other Pill Organizers
There are numerous differences between a pill organizer and an automatic pill dispenser. Organizers allow you to store pills in boxes marked for a certain time of the week and/or day. Many organizers have boxes for each day of the week and for AM and PM administration. Automatic dispensers also have numerous compartments that can be designated for each day of a four-week period, or for AM and PM for a two-week period, or for other combinations. Med-E-Lert comes with 28 compartments to offer many dosing combinations. You may select from six different dispensing rings to insert into the tray to indicate the day of the week or the time of day for timed medications. This electronic pill box organizer is a medicine box that helps patients and caregivers prevent over- or under-dosing. Below is a list of the possible combinations that may be set for the Medelert.
Medication Dosing Combinations
- Once daily medication dispensed for 28 days
- Twice daily medication dispensed for 14 days
- Three times daily medication dispensed for 9 days
- Four times daily medication dispensed for 7 days
- Five times daily medication dispensed for 5 days
- Six times daily medication dispensed for 4 days
Automatic Pill Dispensers can be programmed to provide alerts to the patient or caregiver when it is time to administer another dose. Standard pill organizers have no such function. Instead, they are all memory based, requiring the patients and caregivers to remember on their own when it is time to medicate. In our busy world, it is easy to miss medication schedules due to distractions and other things that can interrupt a regular schedule. Audible and visual alerts can help remind you of when a pill administration is due.
Often patients can forget when they have taken their medication and can take their meds numerous times within the same period of time. So when their prescription calls for a single doze during a specified time, the patient may be taking several dozes and in effect over-dosing. The Med-E-Lert system comes with a locking system that releases medications on a timed-schedule. Once locked, the medications are set on a timer for dispersal. Patients only gain access to the medication when it is time, protecting them from accidental overdoses.
The Advantages of the Med-E-Lert Electronic Pill Dispenser
Med-E-Lert Pill Dispenser offers several advantages over the standard pill boxes or other types medication organizers. The MedELert is secured and tamper-proof, keeping medications away from the patient until scheduled. The locking system is activated by a metal key that can be secured in another location if a patient is predisposed to tampering with their medication schedule. This added security helps to avoid over-medication, protecting Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s patients. This automatic tablet dispenser features 6 customizable alarms that include three different alarm tones. A blinking light also alerts patients when medications should be taken. These alarms and alerts do not turn off until the timed pill dispenser is tilted on its side to dispense the medication.
Features & Benefits
- Ideal for both in-home care and care facility
- Tamper-proof locking key system helps to prevent over-medication
- Medicine dispenser with 28 medication compartments
- Up to 6 customizable alarms and alerts
- Timer and alerts help ensure medication compliance
- Interchangeable solid and transparent covers
- Solid lid obscures contents from view
- Transparent lid provides observation of individual pill compartments
- 3 loud alarm tones that stay on until deactivated
- May be used for organizing and administering nutritional supplements
- Low battery alert ensures you don't miss your medications due to a low battery
- Removable scheduling rings signal when doses should occur
- Product Number: MEDELERT
- Diameter: 7.5 Inch (with hinge: 8.5 Inch)
- Height: 1.85 Inch
- Weight: 1.35 lbs
- Shipping Weight: 1.6 lbs
- Shipping Dimensions: 8.75 x 7.75 x 2.5 Inch
- Application: 28 day pill organizer and timed dispenser
- HCPCS Code: A9270
- Manufacturer: Med-E-Dispenser
MedELert Automatic Pill Dispenser Video (1:11 minutes)
- Additional Information
Manufacturer Med-E-Dispenser Ships Free Yes
- Manuals & Documents
- Cutler, D. M., & Everett, W. (2010). Thinking outside the pillbox—medication adherence as a priority for health care reform. New England Journal of Medicine, 362(17), 1553-1555.
- Hayes, T. L., Larimer, N., Adami, A., & Kaye, J. A. (2009). Medication adherence in healthy elders: small cognitive changes make a big difference. Journal of aging and health, 21(4), 567-580.
- MacLaughlin, E. J., Raehl, C. L., Treadway, A. K., Sterling, T. L., Zoller, D. P., & Bond, C. A. (2005). Assessing medication adherence in the elderly. Drugs & aging, 22(3), 231-255.
- Zeller, A., Schroeder, K., & Peters, T. J. (2007). Electronic pillboxes (MEMS) to assess the relationship between medication adherence and blood pressure control in primary care. Scandinavian journal of primary health care, 25(4), 202-207.
Manuals and Documents
- Product Instructions contains instructions to operate this pill organizer and reminder.
- Product Manual offers detailed instructions for proper product use and patient protection.
- Cover Exchange Procedure provides a step-by-step outline with images of replacing the cover on the Med-E-Lert.
- Community Q&A
Product QuestionsNo questions yet. Be the first to ask the question!
Based on your history
- It makes remembering to take medication easier, not just for my elderly mother, but for ME as well, since I don't have to worry anymore
- Wish it held a larger quantity of pills
My mother is starting with Dementia it took about a week for me to convince her that she can't open it that it is Timed to unlock and dispense her meds but know she is getting the drift of it.
Has been so helpful and she still feels in "control" of taking her meds.
Highly suggest this locked timed Med dispenser, for anyone have a problem taking and remembering their Meds.
- Everything, Timed and Locked for protection of OD