Customers Also Bought
- Electronic Medication Dispenser
- Both Clear and Solid Covers (Premium and XL Models)
- Clear Cover Only (Premium C Model)
- Six Printed Rings
- Four AA Batteries
- Metal Locking Key
Anatomy of an Automatic Pill Dispenser
What is Med-E-Lert™?
Medication Administration Management
Studies show that up to half of all patients fail to adhere to their scheduled medication requirements. Researchers estimate that more than $100 billion is wasted annually on avoidable hospitalizations due to missed medications and instances of overdose. Many studies concluded that improved adherence to medication dosages at the prescribed intervals can lead to improved patient health and reduced healthcare spending.
There is a need for medication reminders and automatic dispensing devices that can notify patients when solid pill drug administrations are due. Unlike a pillbox, this product can provide notifications during the programmed times that medications are due. Pre-organizing these pills can help to reduce dosage mistakes at the time of administration. The Med-E-Lert™ pill dispenser is an advanced electronic pill organizer that locks medications from unauthorized persons until the correct time arrives for dosing.
Med-E-Lert™ comes with programmable alerts to notify patients when a medication dosage is due. This compact medication management system uses small compartments on a rotating tray in which pills are loaded and stored until it is time for dispensing. When the administration time arrives, the specified pill compartment for that time period is automatically unlocked by rotating a tray so that the designated compartment lines up with the dispensing window. An audible alarm will sound to remind the patient that the medication is ready. The unlocked compartment will then be accessible to the patient for administration. This process would entail tilting the unit to empty the compartment contents into the hand; then the new alarm cut-off switch shuts the alarm off once the pills have been dispensed.
This medication system is designed to make it easier for individuals to self-monitor pill administration while at the same time allowing caregivers to visually track patient compliance. Caregivers may easily monitor medication schedule adherence by merely examining which unlocked compartments are empty. Compartments with a supply of pills that have rotated past indicate that the patient is behind in taking their prescriptions. Caregivers can then take appropriate actions.
Med-E-Lert™ Pill Dispenser vs. Other Pill Organizers
There are numerous differences between a pill organizer and an automatic pill dispenser. Organizers allow you to store pills in boxes marked for a certain time of the week and/or day. Many organizers have boxes for each day of the week and for AM and PM administration. Automatic dispensers also have numerous compartments that can be designated for each day for four weeks, or for AM and PM for two weeks, or for other combinations. Med-E-Lert™ comes with 28 compartments to offer many dosing combinations. Now it features improved tray alignment for easier dispensing and improved gear operation for efficient rotation. You may select from six different dispensing rings to insert into the tray to indicate the day of the week or the time of day for timed medications. This electronic pillbox organizer gives patients and caregivers the tool to better monitor medication dosing. Below is a list of the possible combinations that may be set for the Med-E-Lert.™
Medication Dosing Combinations
- Once-daily medication dispensed for 28 days
- Twice-daily medication dispensed for 14 days
- Three-times-daily medication dispensed for nine days
- Four-times-daily medication dispensed for seven days
- Five-times-daily medication dispensed for five days
- Six-times-daily medication dispensed for four days
Automatic Pill Dispensers can be programmed to provide alerts to the patient or caregiver when it is time to administer another dose. Standard pill organizers have no such function. Instead, they are all memory-based, requiring the patients and caregivers to remember on their own when it is time to medicate. In our busy world, it is easy to miss medication schedules due to distractions and other things that can interrupt a regular schedule. Audible and visual alerts can help remind you of when pill administration is due.
This unit comes with both solid and clear covers. The benefit to using a solid cover is that it provides additional privacy if there is more than one person in the home. The benefit to a clear cover is that it's easy and convenient to see how many doses are remaining before you need to refill the dispenser.
Studies indicate that often patients can forget when they have taken their medication and can accidentally take their meds numerous times within the same time period. So when their prescription calls for a single dose during a specified time, the patient may be taking several doses and potentially overdosing. The Med-E-Lert comes with a locking system that dispenses solid pill medications on a timed schedule. Once locked, the medications are set on a timer for dispersal. Patients only gain access to the medication when it is the time which was previously chosen.
The Advantages of the Med-E-Lert™ Electronic Pill Dispenser
Med-E-Lert™ Pill Dispenser offers several advantages over the standard pillboxes or other types of medication organizers. The Med-E-Lert is secured and tamper-resistant, keeping medications away from the patient until scheduled. The locking system is activated by a metal key that can be secured in another location if a patient is predisposed to tampering with their medication schedule. This automatic tablet dispenser features six customizable alarms that include three different alarm tones. A blinking light also alerts patients when medications should be taken. These alarms and alerts do not turn off until the timed pill dispenser is tilted on its side to dispense the medication.
New Improvements for the Premium Model
This device has undergone some new improvements. A new, louder alarm system with blinking lights allows notification even for the hearing impaired. This unit retains its program settings when changing the batteries so you don't have to reprogram. It offers 20% more space than other automatic pill dispensers. A new gear system improves compartment rotation and an updated locking system helps prevent unauthorized tampering. Improved tray alignment ensures that the pill compartment aligns with the open dispenser. Lastly, an updated alarm cutoff switch makes it easier to shut off after patient notification.
Two Med-E-Lert Options
- 28 Pill Compartments
- Locking Mechanism
- Automatic Programmed Dispensing
- Alarm Signals Time to Take Medications
- Contains All of the Premium Benefits
- Adds 50% More Capacity
Features & Benefits
- Ideal for both in-home care and care facilities
- NEW tamper-resistant locking key system helps to prevent over-medication
- Medicine dispenser with 28 medication compartments
- NEW improved tray alignment
- NEW improved gears/tray operation for efficient rotation
- Up to six customizable alarms and alerts
- NEW alarm cut-off switch after dispensing
- Timer and alerts help caregivers ensure medication compliance
- Interchangeable solid and transparent covers (Premium Model)
- Solid lid obscures contents from view (Premium Model)
- Transparent lid allows observation of individual pill compartments
- Three loud alarm tones that stay on until deactivated
- May be used for organizing and administering nutritional supplements
- With a convenient low-battery alert
- Removable scheduling rings signal when doses should occur
- Product Number: 1.0PREMIUM-WC, 1.0PREMIUM-C
- Diameter: 7.5 Inches (With Hinge: 8.5 Inches)
- Height: 1.85 Inches
- Weight: 1.35 Pounds
- Shipping Weight: 1.6 Pounds
- Shipping Dimensions: 8.75 x 7.75 x 2.5 Inches
- Application: 28-Day Pill Organizer and Timed Dispenser
- HCPCS Code: A9270
- Manufacturer: Med-E-Dispenser
- Product Number: 1.0XLPREMIUM-W
- Diameter: 9.25 Inches (With Hinge: 8.5 Inches)
- Height: 2.36 Inches
- Weight: 1.55 Pounds
- Shipping Weight: 2.32 Pounds
- Shipping Dimensions: 10 x 8 x 3 Inches
- Application: Large Capacity 28-Day Pill Organizer and Timed Dispenser
- HCPCS Code: A9270
- Manufacturer: Med-E-Dispenser
Comparison of Pill Tray Sizes
Common Pill Sizes Aspirin/Ibuprofen Tylenol
Premium Model 18 8 10 5 4 XL Model 28 14 18 9 6 Percent Difference 55% 50% 80% 80% 50%
Med-E-Lert™ How To Video (9:46 minutes)
Disclaimer: This product is not intended for use in the diagnosis of a disease or other conditions, or in the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease.
- Cutler, D. M., & Everett, W. (2010). Thinking outside the pillbox—medication adherence as a priority for health care reform. New England Journal of Medicine, 362(17), 1553-1555.
- Hayes, T. L., Larimer, N., Adami, A., & Kaye, J. A. (2009). Medication adherence in healthy elders: small cognitive changes make a big difference. Journal of aging and health, 21(4), 567-580.
- MacLaughlin, E. J., Raehl, C. L., Treadway, A. K., Sterling, T. L., Zoller, D. P., & Bond, C. A. (2005). Assessing medication adherence in the elderly. Drugs & aging, 22(3), 231-255.
- Zeller, A., Schroeder, K., & Peters, T. J. (2007). Electronic pillboxes (MEMS) to assess the relationship between medication adherence and blood pressure control in primary care. Scandinavian journal of primary health care, 25(4), 202-207.
- Additional Information
- Manuals & Documents
Manuals and Documents
- Programming and FAQs contains detailed programming instuctions not in the user manual as well as answer frequently asked questions.
- User Manual - English contains instructions in English to operate this pill organizer and reminder.
- User Manual - Spanish contains instructions in Spanish to operate this pill organizer and reminder.
- User Manual - XL contains instructions in English to operate the XL pill organizer and reminder.
- Product Manual offers detailed instructions for proper product use and patient protection.
- Cover Exchange Procedure provides a step-by-step outline with images of replacing the cover on the Med-E-Lert™.