Kalginate, by DeRoyal, is uniquely thicker and more substantial than other alginate dressings. Kalginate has a heavy, dense denier fiber that transforms into a fibrous gel as it soaks the wound exudate. This feature gives it the ability to lock in twice the amount of exudate than a typical gauze packing strip.
Kalginate dressings come packaged sterile and are non-woven. They are to be used as a primary dressing and will rest directly against an open wound to take in the oozing exudate. They treat stage II to stage IV wounds as well as second-degree burns and diabetic ulcers. They are good to be used in conjunction with a cover dressing such as the DeRoyal Covaderm Plus barrier dressing to cover and seal the wound.
The following are wound indications that may be ideal for Kalginate dressing:
- Dreaing Wounds and Exudating Lesions.
- Dermal Ulcers and Leg Ulcers
- Partial and Full Thickness Wounds
- Stage II, III, and IV Wounds
- Abdominal Wounds
- Infected and Non-Infected Wounds
- Superficial Wounds
- Laceration, Cuts, and Abrasions
- Pressure Ulcers and Diabetic Ulcers
- Second Degree Burns and Donor Sites
- Irrigate wound with a sterile saline.
- Pack Kalginate into the wound -- pack loosely if the wound is deep.
- Cover the packed wound with an absorptive dressing such as Coverderm Plus Adhesive, or another barrier wound dressing, Non-Adherent Wound Dressing or foam dressing if necessary.
- Change Kalginate when the outer dressing is saturated (heavy draining wounds may need daily changing).
Kalginate Features and Benefits
- The dressing absorbs a large amount of wound exudate.
- The dressing turns to a stable gel as it is moisted by the drainage.
- It is a primary wound dressing.
- It can slow or stop weeping, oozing wounds.
- The dressing treats stage II to stage IV wounds.
- Manufacturer Numbers:46-801
- Manufacturer: DeRoyal
- Size: 4 Inches x 4 Inches
- Primary Dressing
- Made in the USA
- HCPCS: A6196
- Additional Information
- Community Q&A
Product QuestionsNo questions yet. Be the first to ask the question!