MediHoney Calcium Alginate Dressing is made by Derma Sciences from patented formulations and medical grade honey (Manuka). It is used for moderately to heavily exudating wounds or burn wounds. The products contain 95% active Leptospermum Honey, which has been shown to have several properties which assist in promoting an optimal healing environment for chronic wounds and burns that have not progressed with basic, first line treatments. Through their high osmolarity, the Calcium Alginate Rope and Dressing helps to cleanse the wound and remove devitalized tissue. The MediHoney Dressings are designed to manage varying degrees of exudate. This effective wound dressing can be used in all stages of wound healing and can also be used as an important component of wound bed preparation.
Product Features & Benefits
- Wound care for diabetic foot ulcers, arterial leg ulcers, venous stasis leg ulcers, pressure ulcers, 1st and 2nd degree burns and donor sites.
- Can be used in all stages of wound healing.
- Helps to lower overall wound pH.
- Cleanses and Debrides.
- Provides a moist, occlusive environment conducive to optimal wound healing.
- As wound exudate is absorbed, a gel forms, making wound dressings easy to remove without disrupting the wound bed.
Medihoney is available in other options beside Medihoney Calcium Alginate. These other options are displayed below:
- Medihoney Gel with 80% Active Leptospermum Honey
- Medihoney Paste with 100% Active Leptospermum Honey
- Medihoney HCS with 63% Active Leptospermum Honey
- Medihoney Honeycolloid with 80% Active Leptospermum Honey
Medihoney Selection Chart
- Product Numbers: 31012, 31022 & 31045.
- Size Options: 3/4 x 12 Inch, 2 x 2 Inch & 4 x 5 Inch.
- Application: Antibacterial Honey Dressing.
- All natural, non-toxic honey.
- Free of pesticides and antibiotics.
- Latex free.
- HCPCS codes: A6196, A6197 & A6199
- Manufacturer: Derma Sciences.
- Brand: MediHoney.
Give Medihoney a try! Just click the following link to request a FREE SAMPLE of Medihoney.
Manuals, Documents and Medical Studies
- Product Sell Sheet contains selection options for wound care.
- Debridement Sell Sheet offers features and benefits for product use in wound debridement.
- Debridement Treatment contains detailed information for using this product for wound debridement.
- Palliative Wound Care information for using Leptospermum honey.
- Patient Guide offers information for patients considering this product for chronic wound care.
- Protocol Guide for using this wound treatment.
- Burn Care Treatment offers highlights for using this product for the treatment of burns.
- Molan, Peter C. "The evidence and the rationale for the use of honey as wound dressing." (2011): 204-220.
- Smith, Tanisha, Kennedy Legel, and Jason R. Hanft. "Topical Leptospermum honey (Medihoney) in recalcitrant venous leg wounds: a preliminary case series." Advances in skin & wound care 22, no. 2 (2009): 68-71.
- Hampton, Sylvie. "How and when to use antimicrobial dressings." Nursing and Residential Care 12, no. 11 (2010): 522-529.
Product Application Video (2:26 minutes)
- Additional Information
Manufacturer Derma Sciences
- Community Q&A
Product QuestionsWhat is the recommended time that a dressing can remain in place before changing? Should it be changed daily or can it remain in place for a longer period of time, especially for a wound that has very little exudate?Question by: Bernard on Apr 23, 2015 10:29:00 AMDressings can be changed quite frequently based on the severity of the patient's condition. It's best to contact the manufacture of the product to see if they have a recommendation for changes.Answer by: Shain Gillet (Admin) on Jul 21, 2016 3:08:00 PMWhat product can I use as an appropriate secondary dressing with medihoney wound & burn dressing?Question by: Kristina Hitchens on May 15, 2016 11:10:49 AMHello Mrs. Hitchens: We do not employ any medical professionals and therefore cannot answer any specific questions regarding items sold. It's best in this case to contact your physician for a clearer answer.Answer by: Shain Gillet (Admin) on Jun 30, 2016 4:00:00 PM
- Easy to use and highly effective
- it works