What is a Nurse Work Bag?
Treating patients outside a medical facility can be difficult when your resources are limited. However, having the medical basics available within a convenient tote can help you give your patients the best possible treatment on the go.
A Nurse Tote Bag and Medical Tote Bag provides storage of essential items, such as medical dressing, gauze rolls, stethoscopes, debridement fluid, medicated ointments, travel size sharps containers, scissors, pain relieving products and more. Each nursing bag is designed to be highly durable with multiple storage compartments and sturdy shoulder straps for easy portability.
On top of these features, nursing bags:
- Allow for organization of all supplies — essential for home health use, traveling nurses and serving multiple patients in your facility.
- Come with secure pockets that eliminate having key items or supplies slip out or slide around.
- Reduce risks for tangled or damaged equipment.
- Are built to withstand moisture exposure — including from water and spills.
- Feature a durable construction to hold up to the rigors of a range of healthcare environments.
- May additionally feature an antimicrobial treatment to limit bacteria growth and exposure.
How I know which medical tote is right for me?
There are two types: empty, which are typically classified as "nursing bags," and pre-filled bags, which come equipped with select medical products.
Medical equipment bags are available with or without supplies included. The filled bags feature a variety of medical supplies that help you appropriately treat patients and meet their care needs. An empty bag allows you to pick and choose the supplies you require for your particular patient care needs. This solution may be ideal for traveling nurses.
Some bags feature storage for medical records and come equipped with a laptop compartment for convenience and easy storage. Examples of these styles include the Hopkins Medical Products Medical Tote with Records Pockets and the Hopkins Medical Products Nurse Bag with Laptop Compartment.
Some nursing bags are available with an EZ view feature, which is a see-through, re-sealable pouch that allows you to quickly locate and access items at a glance.
This technique helps medical professionals manage the tote bag and its contents, and keep harmful pathogenic microorganisms from being brought into the patient's home or transferred from one home to another.
Nurse Work Bag Styles
Based upon design and arrangement, common styles of nurse bags include:
- Rolling nurse bags, which function more like a suitcase and don’t have to be hoisted onto the user’s shoulder.
- Nurse tote bags, which include a shoulder strap and a large main compartment.
- Zippered nurse bags — a type of tote — that include lockable zippers for improved security and patient privacy.
- Backpack home health bags, which offer a portable design with padded straps. Some may additionally include wheels for convenience.
Home Care Best Practices
Use of the Public Health Nursing Bag in the Academic Setting