The Lansinoh Manual Breast Pump is designed for moms who express milk occasionally from home or want an easy pump option when on the go. Using a breast pump is more popular than ever as moms are outside the home more and still desire to exclusively breastfeed. A benefit of pumping is that it helps maintain the mother's breastmilk supply and ensures there is breastmilk stored if mom is apart from her baby.
This Lansinoh Pump is a very affordable option, and with fewer parts than a Signature Pro electric breast pump, it's easy to assemble and clean. This makes it a simple solution for moms using a breast pump. Don't worry if you think it requires a lot of hand strength. Lansinoh designed it with an easy-express handle, creating the ideal hand position to reduce hand fatigue. The system also comes equipped with the same ComfortSeal Flanges that are used in all of the Lansinoh pumping systems. The Lansinoh Manual Breast Pump Flange Size is based on the diameter of the nipple and is why Lansinoh provides two sizes to choose from. Many breast pumps on the market only offer one size, and Lansinoh wants to ensure the flange fits properly so that the nipple moves freely without touching the tunnel. The ComfortSeal cushion ensures a comfortable seal that lends to exceptional vacuum suction with each pumping session.
Lansinoh Manual Pump Instructions
- Wash your hands and make sure breasts are also clean.
- After the pump is assembled (refer to assembly instructions below), place the flange against the clean breast.
- Squeeze the handle and begin squeezing 6-7 times in quick short pumping bursts to stimulate let-down.
- Hold the handle down for 2-3 seconds and let go of the handle to let it return on its own.
- Repeat this cycle and milk should flow into the bottle between these strokes.
After let-down, repeating the 2-3 second cycle holding the handle imitates the baby's natural nursing rhythm. Milk should begin to flow within the first couple of strokes, but don't worry if it takes longer. Since the system collects the milk directly into a baby bottle, it conveniently detaches to store in the refrigerator. The system also comes with the Naturalwave Teat when feeding the baby the bottle. The teat encourages natural feeding motions learned at the breast, which is helpful when bottle and breastfeeding the baby.
A helpful tip to stimulate breastmilk let-down is to warm up the breast tissue and then gently massage this area. A warm compress makes this process so much easier and the Lansinoh TheraPearl Gel Pack does the trick. It perfectly molds to the breast and using its cover it wraps around the flange to comfortably stay in place during pumping. Not only does it trigger breastmilk let-down, but it has been shown to speed up the pumping process.
What Comes in the Box?
- Manual Pump
- (2) Sets of ComfortFit Flanges - 22 mm & 30.5 mm
- Bottle Stand
- NaturalWave Nipple with Cap and Collar
- Silicone Diaphragm and Valve
How to Assemble the Pump
- Make sure to have clean hands when preparing the breast pump.
- Apply and secure the white valve into the flange so that it's flush with the lip of the flange.
- Twist the bottle onto the flange.
- The silicone diaphragm and stem is the piece in between the flange and the bottle. Attach it to the flange and insert the handle with the forked end to the diaphragm stem and press gently to ensure it's in place.
- Insert the ComfortSeal Cushion size into the flange.
- Place the bottle in the bottle stand to have it ready so that once pumping is over, it can be placed on the counter or in the fridge and be completely stable.
Trouble Shooting the Lansinoh Manual Hand Pump
- No Milk Expressed: Make sure all the parts are assembled properly to create the suction needed.
- Lack of Suction: Check if it's assembled properly and if all looks intact, inspect the white valve to see if its structure has been compromised. Suction can also be diminished if the seal isn't created with the ComfortSeal cushion or the silicone diaphragm and stem. If the seal looks fine, sometimes it takes practice.
- Pain During Pumping: If you are experiencing pain, try depressing the handle halfway to not pump as hard. If this doesn't help, consult with a lactation specialist.
How to Clean and Sterilize the Breast Pump
To sterilize, boil all parts for a maximum of 10 minutes. Immediately remove and allow parts to air dry before use.
Regular cleaning can be performed in the top compartment of a dishwasher or hand wash in soapy water. For best results, use the cleaning brush to clean the breast flange before placing it in the dishwasher or when handwashing. Rinse parts with hot running water.
Other Useful Lansinoh Breastfeeding Products
Features and Benefits
- Easy Transition from Let-Down to Expression Mode
- Convenient and Portable
- Fewer Parts for Easy Assembly and Cleaning
- Two Flange Sizes
- Flange Creates a Cushioned Barrier and Proper Seal
- Easy-Express Handle to Reduce Hand Fatigue
- Efficient - One Bottle to Pump, Store, and Feed Baby
- Manufacturer: Lansinoh
- Product Number: 50520
- Box Contents: Manual Pump, Bottle, 2 Flanges, Bottle Stand, Nipple with Cap and Collar, Silicone Diagphram and Valve
- Two Pumping Modes: Let-Down and Expression
- Flange Sizes: 25 mm (Standard), 30.5 mm (Large)
- BPA & BPS-Free: Yes
- Latex-Free: Yes
- Application: Breast Pump
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What separates this manual pump from others?
The easy-express handle and ComfortFit flange provides an overall comfortable manual pumping experience.
Is the manual pump dishwasher-safe?
Yes, the larger parts should be placed on the top rack. Smaller parts like the white valve should be hand-washed to prevent losing the parts.
Can I use other bottles with this manual pump?
No, most likely other brands will not fit and it's best to use only Lansinoh brand bottles.
Is the manual breast pump BPA-free?
Yes, the pump and accessories are BPA- and BPS-free.
What is the suction strength?
The suction varies, but will not exceed 250 mmhg.
Manuals and Documents
How to Assemble Video 1:11 minutes)
Features of the Breast Pump Video 0:52 minutes)