Incontinence products, Incontinence Supplies and More!
How to Choose Incontinence Protection
Incontinence can affect anyone of any age and it often comes in stages. The severity of leakage can stay the same for years, progressively get worse, or it may even go away if the body can heal or recover. Your doctor or continence nurse should give you a good evaluation of the potential outlook.
The first line of protection typically is through the use of an absorbent pad or underwear liner. Next, you would look to diapers (briefs), protective underwear, booster pads or a combination of these products for additional absorption. If the first line of protection is breached you would need a bed or furniture pad to protect your linens and furniture.
Pads can often fit neatly and comfortably inside the user's undergarment. In contrast, protective underwear and briefs (diapers) are simply worn like underwear. Not all incontinence products are created equal, so the choice will depend on how much absorption is needed, whether the user is male or female and other factors. Below we have described incontinence categories, urinary conditions and related products to give you a good idea of what will work best for you or your loved one.
Light Bladder Leakage
Light bladder leakage requires the least amount of absorbency material. However, this does not mean is made cheaper. The level of sophistication that goes into the fabric and absorption material is very high, especially with certain manufacturers who do just about everything to disguise odor, and keep skin from a urine contact -- which is something that can lead to sores, rash, and severe skin breakdown. This is done by using layered material that allows urine to soak through, neutralizes its PH level, and usually trapping the liquid, transforming it into a sold, gel-like state. Below describes a common condition that leads to light incontinence, while afterward, you will see suggested incontinence products to fit within those categories so as to give you a better idea of what to choose.
Stress incontinence occurs with physical movement, usually sudden activity such as coughing, sneezing or heavy lifting. Despite its name, stress incontinence is not related to mental stress, or psychological anxiety. Such physical activity puts pressure, physical stress on your bladder where the bladder muscles may be weak and cannot properly react or compensate and allow urine to escape through the urethra. Stress incontinence differs from urge incontinence, which is the unintentional loss of urine caused by the bladder muscle contracting, usually associated with a sense of urgency. Stress incontinence is much more common in women than men. Because its sudden occurrence, those that have stress incontinence my isolate themselves, worrying about when it might occur and if it happens in social situations. The good news is that it is often manageable and can be treated. Light or moderate pads will give the assurance needed and Vitality Medical has a broad selection from a number of brands to choose from.
Light Bladder Leakage Pads and Liners
Pads and liners are the most discreet incontinence item one can have for urine leak protection. These pads simply rest in on top of the undergarment facing the perineum and cover areas both front and back -- discreet and unseen while worn. There are pads may be made for men or women, sometimes they are long enough for both. Depending on your needs you may want to look into the following:
Women's Light Panty Liners and Pads
- Poise Liners: Small and thin, they perform the same as a thicker pad giving you confidence and comfort.
- Prevail Pantyliner: Includes the Easy-Wrap individual cover, which peels directly off the adhesive strip. The thin design offers discreet, convenient protection.
- Attends Bladder Control Pads: Somewhat resembling Maxi-Pads, these items are individually wrapped and make it convenient to stick in a bag or purse while out of the home.
- Tena Light Bladder Control Pads: Soft and flexible, Tena Light Bladder Control Pads also have side channels to direct moisture.
- Dynarex Panty Liners: For the most amount for your dollar, these pads will keep you within your budget.
- Dignity Thinserts Liners: Thin and lightweight, the pads hold and wick away moisture even under pressure.
- Briefmates Guards: Easy to handle and attach to your own underwear or boxers.
- Tena Pads for Men: These have advanced absorbent protection and can absorb up to 18 times its own weight despite being a 'light' pad.
- Handicare Garment Liner: It comes with a reusable cotton pant that unbuttons for easy application of the pant liner.
Moderate Bladder Leakage
For moderate bladder leakage one may want to consider a broader range of urine leak protection products. Instead of pads and liners, one may want to look to briefs and diapers. But before going into the selection of products, the following will give a brief overview of the common causes of moderate bladder leakage, for a better understanding of what leads to such incontinence challenges.
As mentioned before, Urge Incontinence is experienced by someone whose bladder fills yet cannot be endured, or is unpredictable because it will sometimes have involuntary contractions pushing urine out before you can make it to the toilet. It often does not matter how much urine is in the bladder, the bladder may simply contract involuntarily at any time. It can be due to a range of issues, including disease, obstruction, and nerve damage. Sometimes the cause of Urge Incontinence is unknown. One also should note that Urge Incontinence and Stress Incontinence are not mutually exclusive. Mixed Incontinence is a combination of both and may require multiple absorption types, from light to heavy depending on your needs.
Moderate Bladder Leakage Protection Products
Pads and liners are slightly thicker than the lighter variety, yet these absorbent pads still maintain a discreet look, depending on the brand selected. Again these are the most discreet variety of products. Briefs and Underwear are the next level above pads that allows added protection and to prevent urine overflow. Below a few selections for both male and female.
Moderate Absorbency Pads, Briefs and Liners for Women
- Depend Underwear for Women: Designed Just Like Regular Underwear, this underwear is easy to pull on and off.
- Depend Silhouette Women's Briefs: It is made of cotton-like fabric and hides perfectly under clothes. It comes with a feminine waistband for a secure fit.
- Attends Bladder Control Pads for Women: Like their light absorbency counterpart, they are also made moderate and have the size and shape of a Maxi-Pad for easy carry and concealment.
- Sure Care Moderate Bladder Control Pad: It contains super-absorbent polymer absorbers to ensure dryness and cloth-like facing for extra softness.
- Prevail Boxers for Men: These are incontinence underwear for men designed with a discreet boxer style, that is more comfortable for men who are accustomed to wearing boxers rather than briefs.
- Attends Regular Absorbency Underwear: Minimal design that can pass for unisex, these absorbent underwear are meant to be an efficient pull-up that can eliminate odor, allow airflow, and imitate regular cloth underwear.
- Molicare Mobile Disposable Underwear: These are a top-of-the-line absorbent undergarment that has a three-layer core system to speed and disperse fluid away from the skin, while a super absorbent polymer to lock in fluid and neutralize the PH.
Heavy Bladder Leakage
For those who contend with heavy bladder leakage, it is a daily task to maintain dryness. For either the patient or caregiver, the products needed to contend with the wetness is many. This type of incontinence entails the broadest range of different products including a dearth of skin care products, bedpads, and incontinence cleaning supplies.
Overflow urinary incontinence is the opposite of urge incontinence. The urge to urinate isn't felt, but the bladder begins uncontrollably leaking small amounts of urine anyway. The bladder is too full, and the urine is escaping to relieve pressure. Overflow incontinence occurs often in men. It can be caused by a tumor or an enlarged prostate gland blocking the flow of urine, preventing the bladder from ever emptying completely. Diabetes, spinal cord injuries, and medications also can cause overflow incontinence.
A variation of Urge Incontinence, Reflex Incontinence creates a situation where you feel no need to urinate yet urine leaks when your bladder begins to contract uncontrollably.
For those with Functional Incontinence, a physical or mental impairment keeps you from making it to the toilet in time. For example, if you have severe arthritis, you may not be able to unbutton your pants quickly enough.
Heavy Bladder Leakage Protection Products
With the most material for absorbency and substances that make up some of the most efficient urine containment, maximum leakage protection products are ideal for those who either have no bladder control or cannot use the toilet because of disability. These people need the most in protection, especially during nighttime during sleep. Getting through the night with a dry bed can be a challenge for those with heavy incontinence, but with the materials offered through Vitality Medical one will be well equipped. The following will give a brief overview of the common causes of Heavy bladder leakage and a better understanding of what leads to such incontinence challenges.
Heavy Absorbency Pads, Briefs and Liners for Women
- Prevail Stretchfit Briefs: It stretches for a comfortable fit.
- Tena Protective Underwear Super Plus Absorbency: The Dry-Fast CORE, contains absorbent microbeads that trap and hold the moisture in place.
- Depend Adjustable Underwear: It comes with four side tabs for discreet open changing. Perforated sides neatly tear open provide easy changing.
- Depend Silhouette Women's Briefs: A very feminine look with a waistband and a panty-like fit, this is a combination of function and form.
- Depend Real Fit Briefs for Men: Constructed with cotton-like fabric, Depend Real Fit Briefs give you underwear-like comfort throughout the day and is soft against the skin.
- Depend Flex Fit Briefs for Men: Includes FLEX FIT Protection which flexes with the legs to accommodate an active lifestyle.
Vitality Medical offers a wide selection of Incontinence Supplies at affordable prices for home delivery. Our Incontinence products are absorbent, discreet, and comfortable. From Pads and Liners, to Diapers, and Incontinence Care. Each of our products are available online for home delivery at the best prices.Our incontinence pads are available in disposable and reusable sizes for bed sanitizing or even pet potty training. Garment liners discreetly address incontinence when full adult diapers aren't necessary. Our adult diapers and briefs are sized to fit any individual and handle every level of incontinence. Affordable prices and diaper delivery makes it even more convenient to discreetly handle issues with incontinence. Trust our incontinence care products for everything to help clean, control odor, prevent and warn when accidents do occur.