Acapella Vibratory PEP Mucus Clearance Device, 15 Liters by Smiths Medical
- Performs multiple breathing repetitions without removal
- Accommodates virtually any lung capacity
- Can be used in any position
- Ideal for use with masks or mouthpiece nebulizers
- Cuts therapy time down to 15-20 minutes
- Controlled respiratory rate provides optimal particle deposition
- Fast Delivery
|21-1015||Acapella BLUE DM < 15 L/min Expiratory Flow | LOW FLOW||Each||
List Price: $37.26 Price:
$32.97You Save: $4.29 (13%)
|21-1530||Acapella GREEN DH > 15 L/min Expiratory Flow | HIGH FLOW||Each||
List Price: $37.18 Price:
$32.90You Save: $4.28 (13%)
Smiths Medical Portex Acapella Vibratory PEP Therapy System is a Respiratory Therapy used for Breathing Therapy that combines the benefits of PEP therapy and airway vibrates to mobilize pulmonary secretions. Manufactured by Smiths Medical, the Acapella Device can be used sitting down, standing or reclined. Another benefit to PEP therapy and a vibratory valve is that it is much easier to tolerate than Chest Physical Therapy (CPT) and takes half the time of a conventional CPT session. Technically speaking, the valve facilitates the opening of airways in patients with lung disease who have secretory problems such as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Asthma, or Cystic Fibrosis. The vibratory valve comes with instructions as well on how to operate the unit and optimally use it to your benefit.
There are two color-coded options when using the Acapella mucus clearance apparatus: blue and green. The blue model is low-flow, working less than 15 liters per minute (LPM) for three seconds, and the green model is high flow, working more than 15 LPM for three seconds. If you are unsure which model you are best suited for, we suggest consulting your doctor. Each therapy model is designed based on clinical needs. You can, however, adjust the Acapella valve frequency and flow resistance by adjusting a dial.
Smiths Medical also manufactures a unit that disassembles for cleaning called the Acapella Choice. The Acapella breathing device can be easily cleaned by removing the mouth piece, rinsing with warm soapy water and letting it air dry.
User Instructions for First Time Users
- Set the Frequency-Adjusting Dial to its Minimal Setting (Turning Counterclockwise)
- Relax and then Breathe from Your Diaphragm
- Take in a Large Amount of Air - Do Not Fill Your Lungs to Capacity
- Blow out Through the Device without Forcing Your Air
- Make Sure Your Breath Lasts for 3 to 4 Seconds
- If You Cannot Blow for That Long, Turn the Resistance up by Rotating the Dial Clockwise
- Your Outward Breath Should Last Three to Four Times Longer than an Inward Breath
- You May Need to Use the Device Several Times Before You Find the Proper Setting
Daily Use Instructions
- Verify That the Dial is Set to Where it Should Be
- Place Your Elbows on a Table, Making Sure That You are Sitting Comfortably
- Put the End of the Mouthpiece into Your Mouth
- Close Your Lips to Form a Tight Seal
- You May Need to Use a Nose Clip to Achieve the Seal
- If You are Using a Mask, Make Sure That the Mask Fits Firmly Over Your Nose and Mouth (The Mask Should be Comfortable)
- Draw a Large Breath in with Your Diaphram (Do Not Fill Your Lungs)
- Hold Your Air for a Couple of Seconds
- Breathe Out, Pushing Air Through the Device without Forcing Your Air (This Should Take Three to Four Times Longer Than Breathing in Did)
- Take 10 - 20 Breaths Through Your Device (The Number Your Healthcare Provider Prescribed)
- Take the Mouthpiece out
- Draw in a Deep Breath of Air and Force it Out in Two or Three Quick "Huffs" as if You Were Blowing a Candle Out with Your Mouth Wide Open
- Repeat the Entire Procedure According to Your Provider's Directions
Sterilizing Your Unit
- Soak Your Device in One of the Following Three Solutions
- 70% Isopropyl Alcohol. Soaking Time - Five Minutes, Two Times per Day. Rinse Thoroughly in Sterile Water
- 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. Soaking Time - Thirty Minutes. Rinse Thoroughly in Sterile Water
- Glutaraldehydes. Use This Solution Cold
- Do Not Use a Lot of Pressure When Using This Device
- Users With Heightened Lung Pressure Sensitivity May Experience Adverse Reactions
- A Knowledge Healthcare Provider Needs to Set the Level of Resistance to Avoid Complications
- Complications Can Include
- Difficulty of Breath That Could Result in Hypoventilation or Hypercarbia
- Greater Pressure in the Head Cavity
- Circulatory Problems
- Partial Blockage of Blood Flow to the Heart (Myocardial Ischemia)
- Blood Flow to the Right Atrium (Venous Return)
- Swallowing Air Accompanied by a Greater Tendency to Regurgitate and Choke
- Fear of Tight or Crowded Spaces
- Skin Damage
- Irritation from the Mask
- Lung Damage from Too Frequent Changes in Pressure
Indications for Use
- Chronic Bronchitis
- CNS/Neuromuscular Disease
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Mucociliary Clearance Disorders
Exercise Caution Before Using This Device with Any of the Following Conditions:
- Low Capacity for Labored Breathing
- Perfusion Failure
- Interior Head Pressure
- Intense Sinus Infection
- Any Recent Surgery or Injury of the Face, Mouth, or Head
- Acute Hemorrhaging from the nostril or nose
- Operation on the Esophagus
- Coughing up Blood
- Collapsed Lung
- Damaged Ear Drum
- Problems in the Middle Ear
- Bleach can Damage Interior Parts
- Microwave Ovens May Cause the Device to Catch Fire
- Sterilize Frequently
- Look for Damage, Dirt, and Outside Objects
- Make Sure all Connections Are Tight
Product Features & Benefits
- Combines the benefits of both PEP therapy and airway vibrations to mobilize pulmonary secretions and can be used in virtually any spatial orientation.
- Can accommodate virtually any lung capacity and therefore any patient.
- When in use, the valve makes a percussing sound
- May be used with mask or mouthpiece Nebulizer.
- Allows inhalation and exhalation without removal from mouth.
- Mucus Clearance Device.
- Expiratory resistance dial.
- Incorporates PEP therapy and vibratory valve
- Product Numbers: 21-1015, 21-1530.
- Blue model: <15 LPM for three seconds.
- Green model: >15 LPM for three seconds.
- Patented rocker mechanism.
- 22 mm OD ambient end.
- 22 mm OD patient end.
- Manufacturer: Smiths Medical.
- HCPCS code: E0484.