Customers Also Bought
What is 3M Ethicon Dermabond Advanced Topical Skin Adhesive?
Dermabond Advanced Topical Skin Adhesive (Dermabond DNX12) is a high-grade, surgeon-trusted medical adhesive for wound closure and healing. This product's one-of-a-kind formulation makes it both ultra-strong and flexible for long-lasting protection and has been shown to increases wound closure strength by 75% when used in conjunction with stitches or staples. Because this product is flexible, patients are also more comfortable with the use of this surgical glue. In addition, this product is both anti-microbial and microbe-blocking, so it both kills bacteria present near the wound and prevents the entrance of new bacteria into the wound.
This glue comes pre-packed into an ergonomic, easy-to-use applicator pen. This pen is designed so the syrup-thick adhesive can be controlled with precision for both wide and fine seams. It also has the capability to close mid to large-sized wounds up to 15 cm. When used properly, this glue dries quickly and consistently in a single layer for effective and dependable wound closure. Finally, this product is completely sterile and ready-to-use right out of the package.
Dermabond Skin Adhesive Appropriate Uses
This product is a hospital-grade medical glue that is a great choice for doctors to use on patients with mid to large-sized lacerations or surgical incisions, as long as these wounds are not on parts of the body that are covered in hair or that regularly come into contact with bodily fluids. Surgeons can also use this product to supplement stitches or staples, but this product cannot be used as a replacement for stitches or staples when those treatments are necessary.
Backed By Clinical Evidence
This product has been studied and time-tested since 1998. Multiple controlled studies have demonstrated Dermabond's efficacy. Time and time again, this product was shown to outshine other surgical glues in terms of strength, flexibility, and patient comfort. This is because this product is specially formulated with a purified 2-octyl monomer, a chemical initiator, and additives. The monomer and additives create an extra-strong, yet flexible, bond, which the initiator ensures that the glue dries quickly and consistently with each use. These benefits were demonstrated to have higher tensile and wound bursting strength than competitor Liquiband in studies conducted between the years 2010 and 2018.
In addition to these benefits, Dermabond has been shown to have effective anti-bacterial and microbial barrier properties in multiple studies. For example, a 2002 study titled "In Vitro Assessment of Microbial Barrier Properties of Dermabond Topical Skin Adhesive" conducted by Bhende, Rothenburger, Spangler, and Dito showed that 299 of 300 single-layer film barriers resisted intrusion and retained their integrity after being exposed to a sample of bacteria for seventy-two hours. Another study conducted by Bhende showed that 99.9% of bacteria were killed after 48 hours of contact with this medical adhesive. Bacteria types killed included E. coli, MRSA, and MRSE.
Features and Benefits
- Pre-Filled, Pen-Style Applicator
- Ergonomic Design
- Wound Closure up to 15 cm
- Wide and Fine Seam Use
- Controlled Glue Release
- Syrup-Like Viscosity
- Short Dry Time
- 2-Octyl Monomer Based
- Formulated with Thickener and Initiator
- Both Strong and Flexible
- Uniform Polymerization
- Creates a Microbial Barrier
- Kills E. coli, MRSE, and MRSA
- Falls Off in 5 to 10 Days
- Control Study-Backed
- Easy to Use
- MAI Laceration Tray: A conveniently prepared sterile kit that comes with several items for tending to laceration wounds. This includes gauze, forceps, scissors, towels, and more.
- Dermacea Gauze Rolls:4.5 Inch x 4 Yard, 6 ply gauze that can be bought individually or in cases of 100. This item can be used as a secondary dressing that works to protect Dermabond surgical glue.
- Periwinkle Super Stretch Exam Gloves: Extra flexible nitrile exam gloves that provide a barrier between the hands and sharp objects.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Dermabond Latex Free?
Yes, this product is completely free of latex.
Is Dermabond the same as liquid bandage?
Liquid bandages, such as New Skin Liquid Bandage, are over the counter products that can be used on small lacerations. Dermabond is a hospital-grad medical glue that can be used in place of stiches or staples in some cases and to supplement stiches in other cases.
Is Dermabond waterproof?
Yes, this adhesive dressing is waterproof. Users should still avoid swimming and exercise that causes heavy perspiration, but short showers and baths are okay.
When does Dermabond come off?
It will peel off naturally within about five to ten days.
Is Dermabond antibacterial?
This product has been shown to eradicate 99.9% of bacteria.
If deep dermal stiches are necessary, this item can be used to enhance structural support, but not in place of those stitches. This product is for topical use only.
- Surgical Incisions
- Trauma Wounds
This product should not be used on lips, nasal cavities, oral cavities, or any other skin that would comes into regular contact with to bodily fluids or that is covered in dense hair.
- Cyanoacrylate Hypersensitivity
- Formaldehyde Hypersensitivity
- Mucosal Surfaces
- Mucocutaneous Junctions
- Pressure Ulcers
How to Use Dermabond Topical Adhesive
Care and Use Instructions
- Keep the wound in a horizontal position as this product is being applied to prevent the liquid from migrating away from the wound to other parts of the body.
- Apply the adhesive from above the wound.
- Refer to package instructions and safety information before crushing the ampoule or applying this product.
- Never apply ointment or liquid medications to wounds closed with this product as they will compromise the integrity of the wound closure.
- Secondary bandages can only be applied after Dermabond has polymerized (dried) completely. It should not be sticky upon the application of secondary dressings.
- Thoroughly clean and debride the wound according to facility surgical guidelines.
- Moisture may alter the effectiveness of this product. Use sterile gauze to pat the wound dry.
- Obtain the included applicator.
- Hold the applicator between a finger and the thumb away from the patient to prevent spilling on the patient.
- Point the applicator tip downward and crush the ampoule by pressing the middle of the bulb.
- Maintain gentle pressure until the internal filter has been moistened with adhesive. Once this has been achieved, stop applying pressure and allow the adhesive to draw back into the applicator.
- Use sterile forceps or gloved fingers to approximate the wound edges.
- Gradually and gently brush the adhesive onto the wound in a single, uninterrupted layer.
- For the next sixty seconds, continue to approximate the wound's edges. The amount of pressure applied to the bulb can be adjusted during application to increase or decrease the liquid layer's width, as needed.
- Full apposition should be achieved in minutes. Full polymerization has occurred once the adhesive is dry.
- This product dries quickly and can be difficult to remove. Handle carefully to avoid unintentionally spilling it on the skin and other unwanted places.
- Be careful not to get this product in the eye. If the adhesive does make contact with the eye of the patient or medical professional, flush the eye with water or saline immediately. If it still remains, use a topical ophthalmic ointment to try to release it and speak to an ophthalmologist.
- In the case that this product is applied near a patient's eye, position patients so any runoff that may occur will not fall into their eye as it is being applied, have them close their eye, and cover their eye with gauze.
- This product may provoke a foreign body reaction if enters a wound or mucous areas. Be careful not to allow it to do so.
- Do not use on body parts that are regularly exposed to moisture or friction, mucosal areas, joints, or areas where there is high skin tension. An exception may be made for joints in some cases if the joint is braced and immobilized until the healing process is complete.
- Read the full list of safety information and instructions on the instructions sheet located under the "Manuals and Documents" header on this page before the use of this product.
Do not store in hot environments. Keep stored in temperatures below 86° °. Dispose of this product after it has expired.
How to Apply Dermabond Advanced Skin Adhesive | ETHICON (1:46 minutes)
- Manufacturer: Ethicon
- Brand: Dermabond
- Item Number: DNX12
- Application: Wound Care
- Type: Liquid Adhesive Bandage
- Volume: 0.7 mL
- Applicator Style: Pen
- Tip Style: Precision
- Single Use: Yes
- Sterile: Yes
- Latex-Free: Yes
Manuals and Documents
- Product Brochure contains product features and benefits.
- Evidence Brief contains clinical evidence.
- Fast Fact Sheet contains easy to digest product information.
- Instruction Sheet contains use and care instructions.
- Patient After Care Sheet contains post-Dermabond treatment wound care instructions. This is a great resource for patient at-home care.
- Additional Information