Customers Also Bought
Dakins Solution is an antiseptic first aid cleaning solution for chronic wounds, non-minimally exuding wounds, palliative wounds, pressure ulcers, surgical wounds, and venous ulcers. It is used by health care professionals as an irrigant, cleanser, wet-to-moist dressing, wetting agent, and for wound management. For light to moderate exuding wounds it should be used once a day, for highly contaminated or heavily exuding wounds it should be used twice a day.
The Dakin solution for wounds is antimicrobial and fights against, fungi, yeast, mold, bacteria, and viruses. Often confused for hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), the active ingredient is Sodium Hypochlorite (NaClO) and is made from a science-based formula. It is non-cytotoxic, non-irritating, and non-sensitizing. The Dakins solution does not contain antibiotics, alcohol, or steroids, and is a no rinse formula. This solution is available in 3 different Sodium Hypochlorite percentages; quarter- 0.125%, half- 0.25%, full- 0.50%.
Product Features and Benefits
- Available in 3 Concentrations for Personalized Levels of Treatment
- Thoroughly Tested and FDA Approved for Effectiveness
- Gentle on Skin to Treat Wounds with Little to No Sting
- Solution has a Longer Shelf Life than On-Site Mixing
- Formulated to Fight a Broad Range of Infectants
- Works upon Contact for Efficient Cleansing
- Manufacturer: Century Pharmaceuticals
- Active Ingredient: Sodium Hypochlorite
- Other Ingredients: Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxide and Sodium Bicarbonate
- Solution Percentage: 0.5%, 0.25% or 0.125%
- pH: 10
- Color: Clear
- FDA Approved: Yes
- Shelf Life: 1 year (Full), 2 years (Half and Quarter)
- Product ID: 00436067216, 00436093616, 00436094616
How to Use the Solution
Use once per day for wounds with moderate exudate and up to twice per day for heavy exudate or highly infected wounds. Apply directly to wound or to a wet-to-moist dressing such as the TenderWet Active Wound Dressing to place on the wound. Do not dilute or alter formula as results are no longer consistent and less stable.
- Wounds with Medium to High Exudate
- Surgical Wounds
- Chronic Wounds
- Pressure Ulcers
- Venous Ulcers
Warnings and Precautions
- Do not use if sensitive to chlorine products and compounds
- Not for ingestion or internal use- contact poison control if swallowed
- See a doctor if pain, swelling and/or irritation increases or persists
- Can cause discoloration on clothing
How the Solution Works
The solution is poured on ulcers, wounds and/or burns to irrigate the wound, removing any debris. Dakin’s Solution is a formula of sodium peroxide and hydrochloric acid and diluted with water. This combination oxidizes harmful cells, killing them before they create harmful infection. The acidic formula also breaks down cell walls, producing the same effect with greater efficiency. Working on a cellular level, it can impact not only bacteria, but also viruses, fungi, yeasts and molds.
Dakins Full Strength
The full strength solution is mixed to be the strongest possible antiseptic while still being gentle on skin. It is even strong enough to be used in cleaning medical tools and other medical devices. It can be used for even the worst injuries as a cleaning and irrigation agent.
Dakins Half Strength
This solution is slightly more diluted than the full strength, but is still tough on harmful agents. It is used for irrigation and cleansing as well, but is more gentle on patients, causing less sting and irritation.
Dakins Quarter Strength
The lowest dilution is most effective on smaller wounds and is simply able to fight infection. Larger wounds or higher amounts of sterilization will require a higher concentration of formula.
Product Information and Documents
- Additional Information