Customers Also Bought
BD Vacutainer SST Tubes add efficiency and safety to laboratory workflow. The prepared plastic tubes are used for blood serum collection for testing and screening. In comparison to glass tube material, these plastic tubes are safer to handle since it's virtually break-resistant. This preserves the sample but also protects healthcare and laboratory workers from exposure to bloodborne pathogens. Additional safeguards are with the Hemogard Closure that's designed to remove human contact with blood on both the stopper and tube rim for further elimination of potential blood splatter.
What is an SST Transport Tube
The SST is Serum Separation Transport and the Vacutainer version contains double the amount of gel in comparison to BD regular SST tubes.
BD Vacutainer Tubes Intended Uses
BD SST Tubes are intended for collecting specimen in physician laboratories and/or remote station and require transport to a laboratory for serum determinations and analysis for the following:
The Purpose of the Silica Coating & Polymer Gel
SST Tubes are sterile and contain a spray-coated silica and polymer gel additive. The gel is used to separate the serum to maintain the quality of the sample while in transport. Silica particles coat the tube and make the inside walls appear cloudy. These particles are the clot activator. It is recommended to invert the tube after filling to ensure the sample is adequately mixed with the clot activator for optimal performance.
The SST Blood Tube is available in a conventional tube stopper (Red/Grey) or a BD Vacutainer® Hemogard™ Tube Closure (Gold) which prevents contact with the blood on the stopper and rim so there isn't blood splatter.
Features and Benefits:
- Color-Coded Stopper/Closure
- Break-Resistant Plastic Tube
- Safe and Efficient
- Decreases Turnaround Time
- Hemogard Closure Shields Prevents Contact with Blood
- Tube Specifically Prepared for Serum Determination
- Manufacturer: (BD) Becton Dickinson
- 367981 - 13 x 75 mm, 3.5mL, Red/Gray Conventional Stopper, Silica/Polymer Gel
- 367983 - 13 x 75 mm, 3.5mL, Gold Hemogard™ Closure, Silica/Polymer Gel
- 367986 - 13 x 100 mm, 5.0mL, Gold Hemogard™ Closure, Silica/Polymer Gel
- 367988 - 16 x 100 mm, 8.5mL, Red/Gray Conventional Stopper, Silica/Polymer Gel
- 367987 - 16 x 100 mm, 7.5mL, Red/Gray Conventional Stopper, Silica/Polymer Gel
- Tube Material: Plastic
- Tube Type: Serum Tube
- Coating: Silicone
- Additive: Gel Separator/Clot Activator
- Label Type: Paper
- Sterile: Yes
- UNSPSC Code: 41104107
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the difference between a BD SST and a PST blood collection tube?
The SST Serum Separator Tube contains both the gel-serum separator and clot activator and the PST refers to the Plasma Separator Tube containing lithium heparin and plasma separator.
Can BD Vacutainer gel tubes be re-centrifuged?
No, once the barrier has been formed, BD does not recommend re-centrifuging any gel tubes.
Can SST tubes be used for trace element testing?
No, BD has not tested these tubes for trace element testing.
Can SST tubes be used for TDM therapeutic drug monitoring?
No, it is not recommended to use gel tubes for TDM testing such as tricyclic antidepressant drug testing.
What is the polymer gel composed of?
The polymer gel is made from proprietary inert polyester-based components.
- BD Vacutainer Citrate Tubes
- BD Vacutainer EDTA Tubes
- BD Vacutainer Needle Holder
- BD Vacutainer Urine Collection System
- BD Vacutainer Safety-Lok Blood Collection Sets
Manuals and Documents
- Additional Information