Customers Also Bought
Aerobika OPEP Overview
The Aerobika Oscillating Positive Expiratory Pressure Therapy System ( Monaghan Medical 62510) is a Mucus Clearance Device made by Monaghan Medical. This PEP Therapy System is a Respiratory Therapy device that creates pressure in the lungs to keep the airway from closing and help move mucus into the larger airway passages where it may be coughed out. This therapy system can be life-changing for people with breathing-related disorders, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) pneumonia, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, bronchiectasis, and cystic fibrosis. The Aerobika device naturally opens weak or collapsed airways to allow more oxygen intake without the need of medication. Movement of mucus has been clinically proven to decrease cough frequency and breathlessness. Individuals with COPD who use this device have found an increased exercise tolerance for a more active lifestyle and a better quality of life.
What Does the Aerobika Oscillating PEP System Device Do?
The small ergonomic design of this Breathing Therapy device helps users easily hold the Aerobika OPEP in the palm of their hand. As the user exhales through the Aerobika flutter valve, they will feel short pulses of resistance against exhaled breath as the mucus loosens and encourages forceful "huff" coughs. The Aerobika valve provides the oscillating positive pressure with five resistance settings. Users can switch between higher and lower settings of positive pressure to find the right amount of pressure for their needs.
Features and Benefits:
Who Would Benefit from Using this Product?
Users with the following breathing-related issues may find this product beneficial:
No absolute contraindications exist. However, relative contraindications exist. Users should always let their healthcare practitioner know if they have or have had any of the following conditions before using the Aerobika Oscillating PEP Device:
- Acute asthma
- Acute sinusitis
- COPD (when unable to tolerate increased work of breathing)
- Esophageal surgery
- Facial surgery (if recent)
- Head trauma (if recent)
- Hemodynamic instability
- Hemoptysis (if active)
- Inner ear pathology
- Intracranial Pressure (ICP) >20 mm Hg
- Pneumothorax (if untreated)
- Skull Surgery (if recent)
- Tympanic Membrane rupture
How to Use the Aerobika OPEP
- Treatments should be performed in a comfortable seated position.
- Begin by placing the mouthpiece into the mouth and keep lips down to form a seal. Hold the device on the bottom so as to not block the exhalation path at the top.
- Inhale deeply through the Aerobika OPEP device, but don't completely fill the lungs. Hold the breath for at least three seconds before releasing it.
- Exhale very slowly through the Monaghan Aerobika inhaler while keeping cheeks flat and firm. Always maintain a seal. The exhalation should be at least three to four times the length of the initial inhalation. Keep the cheeks flat and firm to maximize treatment effectiveness.
- Continue this process for 10 to 20 breaths, or as many as are instructed by a doctor. Hold off on coughing until after the 10th breath. Next, transition to a "huff" cough to actively get the mucus moving.
- Repeat as directed by a doctor. This process should be performed at least twice a day and regularly. For users with a lot of mucus, it's recommended to perform this three to four times per day.
- Caution: If the treatment causes dizziness, lightheadedness, or discomfort, discontinue therapy treatment and consult a doctor.
The Aerobika OPEP valve is designed for easy disassembly for cleaning. It is recommended that users clean their devices daily. The materials are dishwasher safe.
Disassembly Instructions for the Aerobika OPEP System
- Push in the attachment tabs on the side of the Aerobika OPEP device.
- Gently pull up on the case until the two parts release and separate the device.
- Remove the valve cartridge but do not disassemble any part of the cartridge.
How to Clean the Aerobika
- Take the device apart by pressing the attachment tabs to release the two parts of the device.
- Remove the valve cartridge and mouthpiece.
- Place the device on the top rack of the dishwasher or use warm soapy water to soak the device for at least 15 minutes and then rinse.
- Remove excess water by shaking the device and place vertically to air dry.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Aerobika device used for?
The Aerobika is an OPEP breathing therapy device.
What is OPEP therapy?
OPEP stands for "oscillating positive expiratory pressure." An OPEP like the Aerobika oscillating positive expiratory pressure device creates small palpitations that keep airways open as it is used. This helps break up and expel mucus from the lungs. To use an OPEP device, inhale and exhale through the device several times and then huff cough to dislodge settled mucus.
What is a huff cough?
Huff coughing is a type of cough that helps push mucus out of the lungs. To huff cough, follow these instructions:
- Take a brief, shallow breath.
- Shape the mouth into an 'O'.
- Vigorously exhale.
How often should I use Aerobika mucus clearance device?
This product should be used in 15- to 20-minute cycles two to four times each day.
- Manufacturer: Monaghan Medical
- Product Number: 62510
- HCPCS: E0484
- Standard 22 mm Nebulizer Fitting
- Five Resistance Settings
Manuals and Documents
Brochure for Aerobika (OPEP) contains product information.
How It Works (2:20 minutes)
How to Use (0:49 minutes)
- Food and Drug Administration. FDA Aerobika OPEP Approval and Indications for Use. 2001.
- National Jewish Health. Using the Aerobika. 2019.
- University of Texas Medical Branch. PEP Expiratory Pressure (PEP Therapy). 2018.
- Additional Information