Cunningham Clamp is an effective incontinence device to help control male urinary stress incontinence. Stress incontinence for men occurs when they are unable to control urine flow. This simple male incontinence clamp has helped thousands of men cope with dribbling and incontinent side effects secondary to prostate cancer, stroke, and other urinary problems. Manufactured by Bard Medical, this penis clamp offers effective incontinence control in lieu of wearing adult diapers.
Cunningham Penile Clamp is a hinged, stainless steel frame supporting two foam rubber pads and a locking device. The user places the penis between the two foam pads and the hinged clamp is squeezed shut. The lower foam pad on the Cunningham Clamp has an inverted "V" which presses against the underside of the penis exerting a closing pressure on the urethra, which is close to the underside of the penis. The ratchet locking clamping mechanism has five separate settings to control male incontinence. This permits the user to achieve the proper amount of pressure to prevent urine leakage without discomfort.
Cunningham Penis Clamp Features & Benefits
- Reusable and washable.
- Adjustable fitting.
- Effective control of stress incontinence, enuresis or bed wetting.
- Suitable for use with males of all ages.
Cunningham Incontinence Clamp Specifications
- Cunningham Clamp Product Numbers: 004052, 004053, 004054.
- Size Options: Juvenile, Regular or Large.
- Sizes: 1-1/2 inch, 2 inch or 3 inch.
- Materials: Steel, foam and latex.
- Application: Control stress incontinence.
- Replace every 3 months or when there are signs of deterioration, cracking, discoloration or separation of foam.
- Manufacturer: Bard Medical.
- HCPCS Code: A4356.
- UNSPSC Code: 42291802.
Sizing the Cunningham Clamp is by penis shaft circumference, not length. Three sizes are available--large, regular or juvenile. Most men use the regular size clamp. Below is a guide to help you to select the best size clamp to meet your needs.
- Step 1: measure the circumference of your penis with a tape measure.
- Step 2: select the clamp that best meets your circumference measurement.
- If your circumference measurement is 3 inches or more, select the large clamp.
- If your circumference measurement is around 2 inches, select the regular clamp.
- If your circumference measurement is around 1-1/2 inches, select the juvenile clamp.
Using the Cunningham Clamp
- Place the clamp about halfway down the shaft of your penis between the two foam pads.
- Tighten the clamp to compress your urethra. Use the ratchet catch to adjust the pressure. This is what stops urine flow. The large and regular clamps each have 5 settings that adjust the pressure on your urethra. To release the catch, press inward on both of the spring wire loops. The juvenile clamp is not adjustable.
- Loosen your clamp every 1 to 2 hours to allow urine to flow. Going beyond 2 hours places you at higher risk of contracting a urinary tract infection. Reposition the clamp slightly up or down the shaft or you penis so that it is not in the same place as before.
- Do not use the Cunningham Clamp at night while you are sleeping.
- Ensure that the clamp is not set too tightly, cutting off blood circulation or causing skin irritation.
Cleaning your Bard Cunningham Clamp
- Wash your clamp in a sink with mild soapy water.
- Rinse your clamp thoroughly with clean water.
- Gently squeeze the foam to get rid of excess water.
- Air dry your clamp at room temperature away from excess heat or direct sunlight.
- Do not use bleach, detergent, or hot water on your clamp.
- Do not put your clamp in the washer or dryer
- Do not use a blow dryer on the clamp.
Cunningham Clamp Notes
Many incontinence clamp users keep three serviceable urine clamps on-hand at any given time. They rotate between two of the clamps daily and keep one as a spare. Rotating the clamp daily allows the foam pads to reposition fully before each use.
- Additional Information
Top Rated Customer ReviewsSee All Reviews
- Works Like a Charm
A few caveats: follow the measurement instructions and get the right size; wear a TEVA pad, which has "wings" to keep the clamp from touching your skin; clean it every day; bend the clamp slightly if you need more or less pressure (I just use the first notch setting) or if you get a slight stinging from it being too tight.
2 years after prostrate removal, I was going through 3-4 heavy pads a day, and all the urologist offered was another operation, which was a poor opiton, after you looked at the marginal success rate, and high percentage of people who had to have the operation repeated after 5-10 years. So I stumbled over the idea of a clamp when looking at the literature regarding other options, and was very annoyed that the urologist had never mentioned it. I can now wear just one pad all day, stay dry and feel comfortable, and go back to my normal bathroom schedule. Also works fine under a bathing suit: I wear a pair of jockey underwear under my suit, which has a support net built in, and nothing is noticeable.
I've been using the clamp for 6 months, and plan on using a clamp for the next 20 years - I don't find it to be much of an inconvenience, and it sure beats wet pads or another operation that really isn't ready for prime time.
- And outstanding product for me
I hav been using this product for years and years and love it! I take a new clamp and only wear it in the house until I have bent the clamp a little each two or so hours so that it fits and feels just right and and will not leak.In about 3/4 of a day and I have it adjusted to fit perfedt so it feels good and does not leak. It will leak just a little once in a while so I ware a Depends Guards in my Jockey shorts to pick up any leaks. Late in the day may then use another Depends Guard according to how much i leaked durning the day. You do have to center the Clamp just right and it takes practive to center it on corectly. I make sure I have two clamps always "ready to use". I follow instructions on how to keep clean.
I can stand at a urinal in a mens public restroom and know I can put it back on by just pressing down on the clamp until until it connects. I also like this clamp bedause when I go to bed I take it off and place it back on durning the night to use the urinal. Get back in bed and take it off again. This is a wonderful product, perject for me and Vitality Medical has the best of prices! Del
- I could not live without the Cunningham Clamp
I am a man and don't want to wear a pad. So this is a lot better then pads. I wear the cunningham clamp everyday, you need to make sure not to clamp it too tight and make sure to release it every few hours.
I buy a few at a time and have found this to be the best price.
- The Way It Should Be Contructed
The clamp does work well, however, it should be designed in a circular shape, which will prevent it from catching on clothing and interfering with comfort, because it is like wearing a miniature oxen collar. It gets caught on things and makes it difficult, when you want to urinate and try to find it and get it out.
, while you are at the urinal. Perhaps your R&D Department can come up with the design, which I am suggesting.
- Good product
The cunningham clamp works well for incontenence.
- Best product on the market
I had prostate surgery 5 years ago. I was left with incontinence. I went through the exercises provided by my urologists office but after one year with little success I decided to look for options. Urologist suggested trying a clamp. I tried one model after another. Most models helped but were just not satisfactory. I would get sores and skin problems. When I tried theCunningham I found it very comfortable and effective. I found it to be easily adjustable to get just the right amount of pressure. One thing I did learn was to not the largest size (unless that is quite necessary). Also I learned to use LOTS of baby powder all around the penis and front of the scrotum to prevent any skin problems.
- Cunningham Clamps for Leakage works!
The Cunningham clamp prevents leaking while walking, running, or sitting. It is great to worry about wet spots.
- Excellant product
This product has been life changing for me.No more leaking when I go out.I just use it when I go out,I don't use it at home.I have found that two sheet of toilet paper doubled over wrapped around the penis after baby powder has been applied will keep it from chaffing.I highly recommend this product.
- Bard's clamps are excellent.
I have used Bard clamps for 15+ yrs and this is good price.
- Good when not active. Slips off when bending or stooping
The Cunningham clamp slips off when I am active. I think the clamp is not designed for an uncircumcised penis.
- It Works as Advertised
I've worn my Cunningham Clamp for about 3 weeks now. It took some getting used to but I've now figured out how to wear it comfortably and effectively.
1. It's inexpensive. You can try it without losing a lot of money if you decide it won't work for you.
2. It's simple to use: just clamp it down into one of the slots available on the side.
3. It's easy to release when you need to do so.
1. Almost no instructions on how to use it; e.g., where to place it and how to adjust it for maximum comfort and effectiveness.
2. It can take a few days of us before you figure out how to place it.
3. At first, it seems too small. I'm of average size and bought the largest size available but it was very uncomfortable to wear at the beginning.
I figured out that the form rubber compresses as you use it and sort of shapes to fit you. Now I know how to place it also - that helps a lot.
I recommend this clamp if you're tired of changing pads several times a day. I can now wear it all day (releasing every hour or so to urinate) with comfort. The only time I don't wear it is at night while I sleep. I will buy a second clamp not that I'm familiar and comfortable with it. It works!
- necessary evil
I think we deserve better than this. This device hurts and there is potential for permanent injury from shutting off blood circulation. My problem was created by a careless and uncaring Dr protected by laws allowing overly aggressive surgery. He's getting richer, is still crippleing patients, while we, his victims, suffer with incontinence for the rest of our lives. I wish someone would do the same to him.
- Great wiener clamp!!
I've tried pads,and they work, but for me this a much better idea. It doesn't hurt, in fact I don't even know I'm wearing it. You have to get used to taking it off to pee, or if you're getting a hard-on, but it's still better than a pad you have to change. No more leaking, after I shake the last few drops out, after I've put the clamp on. I even slept with it on and didn't know I forgot to take it off. I also shaved my hair off so it wouldn't pull or get caught and never has. I love this thing, but I guess everyone's different.
- It works
Works find take time to get It adjusted By Bending It .After That I Had no problems I would recommend It to anyone It works
The clamp work good but it is a liitle large. Also wish it was made of plastic instead of metal. I've been useing one for several years and it is the most convenient to use than the other two styles I have tried. I believe the surgical rubber irritates my skin.
- Community Q&A