Medline Skintegrity Wound Cleanser Spray is non-cytotoxic to prevent damage to the patient's cells. This spray has been specially formulated to promote quick, thorough, and gentle cleansing in a wide variety of wounds including pressure injuries, partial-thickness, full-thickness, infected, and non-infected wounds. It is a non-ionic surfactant, so it lowers the surface tension in the wound. This loosens protein and wound debris for easy removal. Also, the Skintegrity Wound Cleanser can be adjusted between a fine mist and a strong stream to fit each patient's needs. The trigger can be adjusted too, and at a distance of three inches, has a PSI of 8.6 which is within the guidelines provided by the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research (AHCPR) of 4 to 15 PSI. If you are looking for a body wash and shampoo, see Skin Cleansers & Sanitizers.
What is Skintegrity Wound Cleanser?
It is a non-ionic surfactant spray that helps keep wounds clean to promote healing. Surfactants act on surfaces. Non-ionic molecules do not have an electrical charge and are excellent at binding to oily or greasy substances. They are ideal for cleaning wounds as well because they readily attach to the debris commonly found there.
The cleanser is also non-cytotoxic, meaning that it is not toxic to cells. In a wound bed, there are many new and other delicate cells, which are vital to the healing process. Using toxic elements can destroy or seriously delay regrowth.
You can dispense the product using a fine mist or as a stream. Use the more powerful jet when you wish to remove stubborn debris or clean your wound quickly. The fine droplets can be softer on more sensitive areas, but they take longer to irrigate the wound.
What Does Skintegrity Do?
It removes dead cells, exudate, and other wound debris. Keeping your wound bed clean helps reduce your risk of infections. Infections can lead to inflammation, both of which slow down the healing process. An infected wound can lead to other more grave complications, such as stalled wound healing on the local level, or even sepsis on a systemic level.
How Does It Work?
The non-ionic molecules do not dissolve in water. They have no electrical charge. The solution attaches to debris and other particles in the wound and gently flushes them away, leaving an optimal environment for wound healing.
How it is Different
The trigger sprayer offers a pressure level of 8.6psi at a level of 4osi-15psi from three inches away. That is strong enough to wash away unwanted material, but not too forceful for the wound. When applying the product as a mist, it has enough power to cover the wound area.
How to Use Skintegrity Cleanser
- Position the bottle upright, about one inch away from the target.
- Point the nozzle at the desired location.
- Pull the trigger.
- Spray the product over the base and along the edges of the wound.
- Use a clean gauze pad to pat up any extra moisture.
- Dry off the nearby skin.
How Often Should I Apply Skintegrity?
- Use the product to clean the wound before applying the first dressing.
- Apply it again with each dressing change.
- Follow your medical professional's advice for more frequent cleanings.
- Continue to use it after discontinuing the use of dressings to keep the area clean until healthy skin appears.
- Small Cuts and Abrasions
- Clean your wound two to three times per day.
- Spray the piercing site once per day.
- Let dry.
- Follow the instructions of your piercer for jewelry maintenance and rotation.
- Stage II - IV pressure ulcers
- Acute wounds
- Chronic wounds
- Wounds of any thickness
- *Do not use on patients with a known sensitivity to the ingredients.
What to Buy with Skintegrity
Product Features and Benefits
- Loosens Protein and Wound Debris for Easy Removal
- Effective in Variety of Wound Types
- Adjustable Trigger Pressure
- Can Change from Fine Mist to Strong Stream
- Urea N
- Benzoic Acid
- Propanoic Acid
- Imidazolium Compounds
- Product Number: MSC6008, MSC6016
- Size: 8 or 16 oz
- Color: Colorless
- Odor: Odorless
- pH: 5.5
- PSI: 8.6
- Latex Free