BioGuard® Dressings feature an antimicrobial agent--cationic biocide--that kills pathogens within Wound Care dressings. Manufactured by Derma Sciences, BioGuard Barrier Dressings provide a barrier to bacterial penetration to the wound and protect patients from external contaminants. BioGuard Dressings protect caregivers from cross-contamination during wound changes. The BioGuard Dressings offer several advantageous over other antimicrobial dressings. BioGuard Antimicrobial Dressings are not toxic to good cells, they reduce the risk of leaching the antimicrobial agent out from the dressing to negatively affect the wound, and they reduce the risk of the antimicrobial agent forming resistant strains of pathogens.
The BioGuard line of dressings features a strong cationic biocide known as poly diallyl dimethyl ammonium chloride or pDADMAC. When bound to wound dressings, pDADMAC disrupts pathogens’ cell walls in the following way:
1. Normal bacterial membranes are stabilized by Ca+2 ions binding anionic charged phospholipids.
2. pDADMAC rapidly displaces Ca+2 leading to loss of fluidity.
3. Domains in the membrane then undergo a transition to smaller micelles leading to membrane disruption.
BioGuard Dressings Clinical Studies
Derma Sciences BioGuard Dressings are tested for safety and biocompatibility. Direct dermal testing included skin irritation and sensitization, showing no irritation or sensitization. Sensitive in vitro models were used to assess cytotoxicity by multiple methods, including not only agar diffusion but also direct contact testing on fibroblast cell lines. The results demonstrate that BioGuard impeded cellular growth no more than negative controls, while a market leading silver dressing showed significant cytotoxicity in the same assay.
During its development, the technology was featured in Time Magazine’s Annual Innovators issue in 2006. The article was entitled “Forging the Future: Microbe-Busting Bandages”, and profiled Dr. Greg Schultz, one of the developers behind the technology. Also see BioGuard Barrier Dressing News Release.
Derma Sciences BioGuard Dressings Features & Benefits
- BioGuard Dressings are not toxic to good cells
- Reduces the risk of leaching the antimicrobial agent out from the dressing to negatively affect the wound
- Reduce the risk of the cationic biocide antimicrobial agent forming resistant strains of pathogens.
- Provides a barrier to bacterial penetration.
- Kills pathogens within the dressing.
Derma Sciences BioGuard Dressings Specifications
- Width Size Options: 1/4 Inch to 4-1/2 Inch.
- Length Options: 2 Inch to 5 Yards.
- Dressing Options: 6 Ply Gauze Roll, Conforming Bandage, 12 Ply Gauze Sponge, Packing Strip, Non-Adherent Dressing and Island Dressing.
- Adhesion: Non-Adherent and Pads with Adhesive Border.
- Manufacturer: Derma Sciences.
- Brand: BioGuard.
- HCPCS Codes: A6266, A6222, and A6223.
- Derma Sciences BioGuard Dressing Product Codes: 97322, 97441, 97412, 97208, 97831, 97832, 97833, 97334, 97338, 97041, 97042, 97045, 97048.
- Additional Information
Manufacturer Derma Sciences
- Community Q&A
Product QuestionsNo questions yet. Be the first to ask the question!
- no cons