Customers Also Bought
Aquacel Extra Hydrofiber Dressing with Strengthening Fiber is a dressing created to provide absorption and retention to moderate to highly exuding wounds. It is highly absorbent and easily conforms to the wound surface for maximum and comfortable contact. It creates a soft gel that absorbs wound fluids. Upon removable, this gentle wound dressing will not leave residue or cause trauma to even the most painful wounds. Aqualcel Extra is 3 times stronger than regular gauze and helps maintain a moist wound environment for optimal healing.
Aquacel Extra Hydrofiber is available for purchase individually or by the box; 2 x 2, 4 x 5, or 6 x 6 inch hydrofiber dressing with strengthening fiber.
What is Hydrofiber Technology?
This technology takes Sodium Carboxymethylcellulose, a hydrophilic substance, and creates a soft fleece material. The fleece is super-absorbent, capable of locking away large amounts of fluid. When its fibers come into contact with liquid, they soak it up and form a gel, preventing wicking. This action keeps moisture away from the peri-wound skin.
As the gel forms, it expands into the available space, filling in the valleys of the wound bed. Removing this space eliminates the room that germs need to propagate. The gel cools and soothes the wound's surfaces, adding comfort.
The gel in Hydrofiber is strong. In head-to-head tension tests, it held together after becoming saturated long after alginate and gauze failed. What that means is that its fibers do not get stuck to wound surfaces during wound care changes.
How to Apply
- Use a Wound Cleanser like this Wound Wash Saline to Clean the Area
- Cut the Fleece to Extend 1/2 Inch Beyond the Wound
- Place on the Wound
- Cover with a Secondary Dressing Like This Hydrophilic Foam Dressing
- Affix with Medical Tape or Other Adhesive
When to Change a Hydrofiber Dressing
- For Fresh Wounds, Change Every Two to Three Days
- For Partially Healed Wounds, Change at Least Once Per Week
- Change the Dressing When it is Full or Medically Necessary
- For Mostly Dry Wounds, Leave the Dressing in Place until Full
Indications - Medical Professionals
- Moderate to High Exudating Wounds
- Acute Wounds
- Second-Degree Burns
Indications - In-Home Use
- Minor Abrasions
- Minor Cuts
- Minor Burns or Scalds
Product Features and Benefits
- Designed for Exuding Wounds
- Highly Absorbent
- Easily Conforms to Wound Surface
- Helps Maintain a Moist Environment
- Absorbs Wound Fluid
- Contains Strengthening Fiber
- Manufacturer: ConvaTec
- Brand: Aquacel Extra
- Product Numbers: 420671, 420674, 420673
- Material: Hydrofiber
- Color: White
- Size: 2 x 2, 4 x 5, 6 x 6 Inch
Manuals and Documents
- Product Quick Guide contains use instructions.
Hydrofiber® Technology Key Features - Locks in Video (49 seconds)
Hydrofiber® Technology Key Features - Contours Video (47 seconds)
Hydrofiber® Technology Key Features - Responds Video (1:34 minutes)
Hydrofiber® Technology in Action - Sequestration Test Video (3:09 minutes)
AQUACEL Extra Dressing Video (1:52 minutes)
Search Avatar image 0:14 / 1:56 AQUACEL EXTRA absorbency demo compared to Durafiber and Melgisorb (1:56 minutes)
- Additional Information
- Community Q&A