Customers Also Bought
AQUACEL Extra Hydrofiber Dressing is a hydrofiber-powered Wound Dressing that can be used as-is or in a cut-to-fit fashion to fit a specific wound shape. This item is an ultra-strong, highly absorbent gelling dressing that conforms to the wound bed for comfort and safety. It simultaneously draws detrimental microorganisms out of wounded areas and shields them from future contamination. This wound dressing can be used under compression and can be worn for a maximum of seven days, which means fewer dressing changes and less money spent. This product is effortless to apply, comfortable to wear, and easy to remove.
What is Hydrofiber Technology?
Hydrofiber is a soft, hydrophilic, super-absorbent material. This fleecy material draws in wound fluid, which turns the bandage into a gel-like substance. Because this item absorbs and holds wound exudate, it both draws harmful bacteria and debris out of the wound and keeps the wound bed slightly moistened to help speed up the healing process. This also helps prevent unhealthy maceration (indicated by whitening of the skin). This resulting gel conforms to the wound bed instead of just covering it, which helps prevent the entrance of new bacteria. It also soothes and cools the wound bed for patient comfort. Finally, this material is ultra-strong, stays in one piece, and does not stick to wound surfaces. This makes removal painless and easy.
What is the Dressing Used For?
This product was created for a variety of purposes and wound types. It can be used for surgical wounds, traumatic wounds, several types of ulcers, burns, and more.
Features and Benefits
- Highly Absorbent, Even Under Pressure
- Gelling Action
- Strengthening Fiber
- Extra-Strong Build
- Harmful Bacterial Reduction
- Wound Surface Conforming
- Wound Bed Protection
- Helps Maintain a Moist Environment
- Wound Fluid Absorption
- Controls Exudate Levels
- Helps Prevent Maceration
- Gentle Removal
- Patient Pain Minimization During Removal
- Comfortable to Wear
- Can Be Cut-to-Fit
- Stays in Tact When Saturated
- Usable on Infected Wounds (if Instructed by a Doctor)
- Usable in Conjunction with Compression
- Can Be Worn for Up to 7 Days
AQUACEL Extra Dressing (1:52 minutes)
How do you use AQUACEL Extra Dressing?
Note: Always follow a health care professional's instruction and the product's packaged guidelines when preparing and bandaging a wound.
- Use a sterile saline solution to irrigate and clean the wound.
- Dry peri-wound skin
How to Apply
- If packing the wound, first apply AQUACEL Ribbon Dressing according to directions included in its packaging.
- Remove AQUACEL Extra from its packaging.
- Apply the product directly to the wound bed. The bandage gels and will conform to the wound bed.
- This product can be layered over wounds with high amounts of discharge. Whether cut-to-fit or left in tact, dressing should overlap by one centimeter when multiple sheets are used.
How to Remove
- In the event of difficult removal, first saturate the bandage with a sterile
- Saline Solution to loosen it before removal.
- The bandage will have gelled to the wound. Use forceps to remove the bandage in one piece.
- Clean the wound bed with sterile saline to remove any leftover bandage and debris.
Always keep this product in a dry, cool environment.
- Never use this product more than once. Re-using single-use bandages could result in infection.
- Do not use this product if packaging is damaged as this product is packaged as sterile.
- Do not use this product on infected wounds unless instructed to do so by a physician.
- If allergic reaction, hypergranulation, maceration, signs of infection, or irritation occurs, contact a doctor.
- Bloody wound fluid might be produced by this product due to the formation of new blood vessels during the healing process.
- Only use in conjunction with other Wound Care Products when approved by a doctor.
- Dermatological Incision
- Diabetic Ulcers
- Donor Site Incision
- Leg Ulcers
- Mechanically Debrided Wounds
- Orthopedic Incision
- Post-Operative Wounds
- Pressure Ulcers (Stages 2 - 4)
- Primary Intent Healing Surgical Wounds
- Secondary Degree Burns
- Surgically Debrided Wounds
- Surgical Incision
- Traumatic Wounds
- Vascular Incision
- Wounds that Are Painful
- Wounds that Tend to Bleed
- Sodium Carboxymethlycellulose Allergy
- Sodium Sensitivity
- Allergic Reaction
- Sensitivity to the Dressing
Frequently Asked Questions
How long can you leave AQUACEL hydrofiber dressing on?
This product can be left on for a maximum of seven days. The length of time it can be left on will depend on the amount of wound discharge and the overseeing physician's advice.
Does AQUACEL Extra have silver?
This product does not contain silver. However, ConvaTec AQUACEL Ag Advantage Dressing is a closely related alternative that does contain silver.
Does AQUACEL dissolve?
This product does not completely dissolve. It does turn into a gel-like substance, but it should still be able to be removed in one piece.
Is AQUACEL the same as alginate?
No. This product is made from sodium carboxymethylcellulose, whereas alginates are made from seaweed.
When should I stop using AQUACEL?
Users should stop using AQUACEL whenever the bandage is full of exudate, whenever a doctor instructs, when sensitivity or allergic reaction occurs. The maximum time this bandage can be worn is seven days.
- AQUACEL Foam Dressing: The perfect companion dressing to pair with AQUACEL Extra and AQUACEL Ag Extra.
- Optipore Sponge: A low-friction, butterfly-shaped polyurethane sponge.
- SAF Clenz AF Wound Cleanser: A painless, no-rinse wound cleansing spray. This item gently cleans wounds and removes debris.
Perfect Partners: AQUACEL Ag Advantage and AQUACEL Foam (1:53 minutes)
- DURAFIBER Gelling Fiber Dressing: A dressing that gels in the wound bed
- Melgisorb Plus: A gelling calcium alginate dressing.
AQUACEL EXTRA absorbency demo compared to Durafiber and Melgisorb (1:56 minutes)
- Manufacturer: ConvaTec
- Brand: AQUACEL
- Product Numbers: 420671, 420674, 420673
- Application: Wound Care
- Type: Gelling Dressing
- Material: Hydrofiber
- Color: White
Manuals and Documents
- Product Brochure contains product features and specifications.
- Quick Guide contains a brief overview of the product.
Hydrofiber Technology Key Features - Locks in (1/3) (0:49 minutes)
Hydrofiber Technology Key Features - Contours (2/3) (0:47 minutes)
Hydrofiber Technology Key Features - Responds (3/3) (1:34 minutes)
- British Columbia Provincial Nursing Skin & Wound Committee. Skin and Wound Product Information Sheet: AQUACEL Extra. 2014.
- Additional Information