Other Similac product(s)
Similac Special Care 24 HIGH PROTEIN with OptiGRO is an infant formula with high protein specially designed for premature and low-birth-rate babies. This special blend supports growth with ten percent higher concentration of protein over its original blend of Special Care 24. When fed 120 calories a day, the infant will meet the recommended 4 grams of protein a day needed for baby's with a very low birth weight. It's designed as a liquid to meet the higher protein needs of these preterm infants. It's also iron-fortified to support growth and brain development. It also has Similac OptiGRO, an exclusive blend of DHA, Lutein and Vitamin E for brain and eye and immune development. Lutein is a carotenoid naturally found in colostrum and human milk that's shown to help support eye health in the preterm infant.
Special Care 24 High Protein Infant Formula comes in 2 oz Ready-to-Feed bottle making it fast and easy to use with no measuring or mixing. It supports dietary needs for babies with a gluten-free, halal and kosher diet.
Features, Benefits, Specifications, Indications, Contraindications, Ingredients, Preparations and Safety Precautions
Features and Benefits:
- Comes Ready to Use
- Formula Supports Weight Gain
- Increased Protein for Weight Gain
- Supports Brain, Eye and Immune Development
- Ingredients Found in Breast Milk
- Manufacturer: Abbott Nutrition
- Item Number: 56271
- HCPCS Code: B4160
- Calories: 24/oz
- Volume: 2 oz. Bottle
- Quantity: Case of 48
- Special Care 24 High Protein Nutrition Information
- Intended for low-birth-weight and or premature infants.
- Can be used for oral or enteral feedings.
- Not intended for feeding low-birth-weight infants after they reach a weight of 3600 g (approximately 8 lb) or as directed by a physician.
- Not intended for infants with milk and/or soy intolerance
Ingredients for Unflavored Ready to Feed:
Water, Nonfat Milk, Corn Syrup Solids, Medium-Chain Triglycerides, Whey Protein Concentrate, Lactose, Soy Oil, Coconut Oil. Less than 0.5% of: C. Cohnii Oil, M. Alpina Oil, Beta-Carotene, Lutein, Calcium Phosphate, Ascorbic Acid, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Carbonate, Soy Lecithin, Monoglycerides, Magnesium Chloride, m-Inositol, Sodium Citrate, Carrageenan, Potassium Hydroxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Bitartrate, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Niacinamide, L-Carnitine, Zinc Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Potassium Phosphate, d-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Cupric Sulfate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Chloride Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Biotin, Phylloquinone, Sodium Selenate, Vitamin D3, Cyanocobalamin, and Nucleotides (Cytidine 5’-Monophosphate, Disodium Guanosine 5’-Monophosphate, Disodium Uridine 5’-Monophosphate, Adenosine 5’-Monophosphate). Contains milk and soy ingredients.
- Bottle is Ready-to-Feed, do not add water.
- Shake bottle very well.
- Do not use if breakaway ring is missing or broken.
- Twist off cap.
- Twist on nipple and ring.
- Pour desired amount into feeding container (Volu-Feed or syringe) or attach clean, single-use nipple and ring (not included). Use sterile nipple and ring if directed.
- Once oral feeding begins, use within one hour or discard.
- If signs of intolerance develop, slow feeding or discontinue use
Storage and Handling:
- Avoid prolonged exposure of light to the unused bottles.
- Store unopened at room temperature; avoid extreme temperatures.
- For mixing: pour, recap, refrigerate and use within 24 hours.
- Do not reuse bottle.
- Infants with low birth rate are particularly susceptible to gastrointestinal complications and feeding should be initiated very cautiously.
- Tolerance to enteral feedings should be confirmed by initially offering small volumes of formula followed by cautious progression to higher caloric feedings.
- Discontinue if baby uses enteral feeding and is spitting up and has abdominal distension, abnormal stools or stool patterns, excessive gastric residuals, or other signs of intestinal dysfunction.
- Never use a microwave oven to warm formula. Serious burns can result.
- Additional Information
Manufacturer Abbott Nutrition Sub Brand Similac
- Community Q&A
Product QuestionsNo questions yet. Be the first to ask the question!