Customers Also Bought
Periflex Infant is an infant formula containing iron, DHA and ARA. Manufactured by Nutricia, Periflex Infant PKU contains a balanced mixture of essential and non-essential amino acids except Phenylalanine. This powdered formula us used for dietary management of phenylketonuria in infants. Phenylketonuria is also referred to as simply “PKU”. Phenylketonuria is an autosomal recessive metabolic genetic disorder that causes the amino acid phenylalanine to build up in the body. Excessive amounts of phenylalanine can cause several health problems. Available in a 400 gram can, Periflex Infant PKU is unflavored.
Periflex Infant PKU Features & Benefits
- Used for treating and managing phenylketonuria (PKU).
- Fortified with DHA and ARA.
- Contains a balanced mixture of all other essential and non-essential amino acids, carbohydrate, fat, vitamins, and minerals.
- Periflex Infant provides 13 g of protein equivalent per 100 g of powder.
Periflex Infant PKU Specifications
- Periflex Infant PKU Product Number: 118326.
- Size: 400 Gram.
- Container: Can.
- Flavor: Unflavored.
- Calories Per Serving: 421.
- Application: Powdered Medical Food for PKU.
- User: Infants.
- Osmolality (at 0.67 kcal/mL): 375 mOsm/kg.
- Displacement: 0.68 mL/g.
- Manufacturer: Nutricia.
- Brand: Periflex.
- UNSPSC Code: 42231804.
- HCPCS Code: B4162.
Periflex Infant Ingredients
Corn Syrup Solids , Refined Vegetable Oil (Soy, Coconut), High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Calcium Phosphate Dibasic , L-Arginine L-Aspartate, Tripotassium citrate, L-Leucine , L-Lysine Acetate, L-Tyrosine, L-Glutamine , L-Proline , L-Valine , Glycine , L-Isoleucine , CAEM(An emulsifier), L-Threonine , L-Serine , L-Histidine , L-Alanine , Sodium Chloride, L-Cystine, L-Tryptophan, L-Methionine , Magnesium Acetate, Magnesium L-Aspartate, Potassium Chloride , M.Alpina Oil*, Choline Bitartrate, m-Inositol , C.Cohnii Oil **, L-Ascorbic Acid , Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate , Taurine, Carnitine , Niacinamide, Sunflower Oil, DL Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Calcium D-Pantothenate, Cupric Sulfate , Manganese Sulfate , Pyridoxine Hydrochloride , Riboflavin , Vitamin A Acetate, Thiamin Chloride Hydrochloride, Ascorbyl Palmitate , Potassium Iodide , Chromium Sulfate , DL Alpha Tocopherol , Phylloquinone, Sodium Molybdate, Folic Acid , Sodium Hydrogen Selenite, D-Biotin, Vitamin D3 , Cyanocobalamin.
* A Source of Arachidonic Acid (ARA)
** A Source of Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)
Directions for Preparation and Use
Dosage and Administration
- Periflex Infant formula must be consumed in conjunction with a whole protein source (e.g. breast milk or standard infant formula) in quantities prescribed by a dietitian or physician to meet complete protein requirements and ensure normal growth.
- Formula dosage and dilution will vary depending on the age, body weight, medical condition and protein tolerance of the infant.
For standard dilution (20 kcal/fl oz), mix one unpacked level scoop (4.75 g) per fluid ounce of prepared formula. For accuracy, Periflex Infant should be weighed on a gram scale.
Periflex Infant may be mixed with warm or cool sterile water.* Do not boil formula or use a microwave to prepare or warm formula.
To make a 5 fluid ounce bottle:
- Add 5 level scoops of Periflex Infant to a clean, sterile* container.
- Fill up to the 5 fluid ounce line with warm or cool sterile* water.
- Shake for 15-20 seconds or until the powder dissolves. Add additional water if necessary to make final volume and shake again.
Amount of Powder
Approx. Protein Equivalent
8 fl oz
8 scoops (38 g)
7 fl oz (213 mL)
12 fl oz
12 scoops (57 g)
11 fl oz (320 mL) fl oz
24 fl oz
24 scoops (114 g)
21 fl oz (640 mL)
Freshly prepared formula is best. Refrigerate premixed formula immediately and use within 24 hours of mixing. Shake immediately before use. Formula remaining in the bottle one hour after feeding should be discarded. Tube feeding hang time not to exceed 4 hours.
* Boiling is the preferred method for sterilizing water, bottles, nipples and mixing utensils.
- Do not boil formula. Do not use a microwave oven to prepare or warm formula.
- Must only be given under strict medical supervision to infants with a proven phenylketonuria (PKU). Not intended as the sole
- Store unopened can at room temperature. Do not store at extreme temperatures. Once opened, reseal can and store in a cool, dry place (not refrigerator) and use within one month of opening.
Periflex Infant PKU Additional Information
- Agostoni C et al. A randomized trial of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation in infants with phenylketonuria. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2006;48(3):207-12.
- Cleary MA et al. Randomised controlled trial of essential fatty acid supplementation in phenylketonuria. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2006;60(7):915-20.
- Greve LC et al. Breast-Feeding in the Management of the Newborn with Phenylketonuria: A Practical Approach to Dietary Therapy. J Am Diet Assoc. 1994;94(3):305-9.
- Mofidi et al. Growth And Plasma Phenylalanine And Tyrosine Concentrations Of Infants Treated With XPhe Analog Amino Acid Modified Infant Formula With Iron. Presented at the V International Congress of Inborn Errors of Metabolism, June 1-5, 1990.
- Various authors. A Multicentre Study to Evaluate and Compare the Nutritional Adequacy of XP Analog and Lofenalac in the Dietary Management of Infants with Phenylketonuria (PKU). (1986-1989). Data on file.
- Additional Information
- Community Q&A
Product QuestionsNo questions yet. Be the first to ask the question!
Based on your history